Our research at the Department of Respiratory Medicine has a rich history and international recognition. Our ethos is to provide research opportunities to all our patients if possible.
We work closely with the Institute for Respiratory Health clinical trials unit, local universities and we have multiple collaborations with national and international universities and research groups.
In recent years our Consultants have been recognised for their research contributions, including:
- American Association for Cancer Research, Team Science Award, 2020
- Irving Selikoff Lifetime Achievement Award of the International Asbestos Awareness organisation, 2017
- International Mesothelioma Interest Group (iMig) Advancement Award, 2016.
- Research Medal, Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2021
- Emeritus Professor Eric G. Saint Memorial Award, Asbestos Diseases Society, Australia. 2021
for service and dedication to asbestos sufferers in Western Australia
- Researcher of the Year, North Metropolitan Health Service (Go the Extra Mile) Award, Australia. 2021
- Cancer Researcher of the Year Award, Cancer Council of Western Australia, Australia. 2019
- Higher Education Hot List Winners’ List, The Educator. 2019
- Research Medal, Asian Pacific Society of Respirology. 2016
Grants in 5 years totalling >$22m
We have one consultant with a NHMRC Early Career Fellowship and two with NHMRC Clinician Fellowships.
- Publications in 5 years >230 original articles
Our publications have included the highest-ranking journals including the New England Journal of Medicine, Nature Genetics, Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Lancet Oncology, JAMA, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Thorax, Journal of Thoracic Oncology.